- (A song by David for worship.) It made me glad to hear them say, "Let's go to the house of the LORD!"
- Jerusalem, we are standing inside your gates.
- Jerusalem, what a strong and beautiful city you are!
- Every tribe of the LORD obeys him and comes to you to praise his name.
- David's royal throne is here where justice rules.
- Jerusalem, we pray that you will have peace, and that all will go well for those who love you.
- May there be peace inside your city walls and in your palaces.
- Because of my friends and my relatives, I will pray for peace.
- And because of the house of the LORD our God, I will work for your good.
Because of this special status of Jerusalem, the Jew was admonished to "Pray for the peace of Jerusalem." And so they prayed: "May those who love you prosper; may there be peace within your walls, prosperity within your fortresses." (122:6-7) Peace was illusive for Jerusalem, however, for it required faithfulness toward God on the part of Israel which was also illusive.