Sunday, September 5, 2010

Reflections on Isaiah 43

    Isaiah 43 (Contemporary English Version)
  1. Descendants of Jacob, I, the LORD, created you and formed your nation. Israel, don't be afraid. I have rescued you. I have called you by name; now you belong to me.
  2. When you cross deep rivers, I will be with you, and you won't drown. When you walk through fire, you won't be burned or scorched by the flames.
  3. I am the LORD, your God, the Holy One of Israel, the God who saves you. I gave up Egypt, Ethiopia, and the region of Seba in exchange for you.
  4. To me, you are very dear, and I love you. That's why I gave up nations and people to rescue you.
  5. Don't be afraid! I am with you. From both east and west I will bring you together.
  6. I will say to the north and to the south, "Free my sons and daughters! Let them return from distant lands.
  7. They are my people-- I created each of them to bring honor to me."
  8. Bring my people together. They have eyes and ears, but they can't see or hear.
  9. Tell everyone of every nation to gather around. None of them can honestly say, "We told you so!" If someone heard them say this, then tell us about it now.
  10. My people, you are my witnesses and my chosen servant. I want you to know me, to trust me, and understand that I alone am God. I have always been God; there can be no others.
  11. I alone am the LORD; only I can rescue you.
  12. I promised to save you, and I kept my promise. You are my witnesses that no other god did this. I, the LORD, have spoken.
  13. I am God now and forever. No one can snatch you from me or stand in my way.
  14. I, the LORD, will rescue you! I am Israel's holy God, and this is my promise: For your sake, I will send an army against Babylon to drag its people away, crying as they go.
  15. I am the LORD, your holy God, Israel's Creator and King.
  16. I am the one who cut a path through the mighty ocean.
  17. I sent an army to chase you with chariots and horses; now they lie dead, unable to move. They are like an oil lamp with the flame snuffed out.
  18. Forget what happened long ago! Don't think about the past.
  19. I am creating something new. There it is! Do you see it? I have put roads in deserts, streams in thirsty lands.
  20. Every wild animal honors me, even jackals and owls. I provide water in deserts-- streams in thirsty lands for my chosen people.
  21. I made them my own nation, so they would praise me.
  22. I, the LORD, said to Israel: You have become weary, but not from worshiping me.
  23. You have not honored me by sacrificing sheep or other animals. And I have not burdened you with demands for sacrifices or sweet-smelling incense.
  24. You have not brought delicious spices for me or given me the best part of your sacrificed animals. Instead, you burden me down with your terrible sins.
  25. But I wipe away your sins because of who I am. And so, I will forget the wrongs you have done.
  26. Meet me in court! State your case and prove that you are right.
  27. Your earliest ancestor and all of your leaders rebelled against me.
  28. That's why I don't allow your priests to serve me; I let Israel be destroyed and your people disgraced.



Israel had failed to fulfill the purpose of her covenant relationship with God which was to help bring the world to a knowledge of God. Instead, she had become like all the nations around her, following their gods rather than the true God who had formed them and redeemed them. Therefore God planned to use the sin of His people as a means yet to accomplish the purpose of His special relationship with them.

First, the Lord assured Israel of His love for her. He created them, formed them, and will redeem them. The redemption is stated in the present tense as of Isaiah's prophecy. It is in reference to their Babylonian captivity which they had not yet experienced. Yet the redemption was not future tense but present. He, even then, had prepared their redemption. They were to pass through difficulty, but it would not overwhelm them. It would be for their good and not their demise. Because they were "precious in My sight and honored, and I love you," God was putting others in their place. (43:4) God raised up Cyrus, king of Persia, who not only conquered Babylon and ultimately released Israel from her exile, but for this liberation of Israel God also gave to Cyrus victory over Egypt, Cush, and Seba.God considered these a ransom price for the redemption of His people. There is always a price for sin! We should never forget that. And, unfortunately, many often suffer as a result of the price of another's sin.

Then the redeemed Israel would become a witness to the Lord's existence, His love, and His mercy. Verses 8-13 describe a gathering of the nations before which Israel would serve as a witness of who God is. The question is raised among these nations as to which of their gods could do what God had done for Israel. They were challenged to present their witness to verify the truth of any such claim. Obviously, none could do so. But not only are all the other nations challenged by God, but Israel is also challenged with the fact that it was God alone who saved her and not any foreign god among them. Furthermore, He was declaring that from that day forward He was to be the only god to which Israel gave recognition. Following the Babylonian captivity, although Israel still failed in so many ways in her relationship with God, she never again turned to other gods.

Though God was stating His love for Israel and assuring her of His deliverance, He was not doing so because Israel merited His love or deliverance. This is a reality we must all come to understand. Though God is always ready and willing to forgive us of sin and offer us salvation, it is never because of our own merit, and always because of His love and mercy. Often there is the mistaken idea that before one can turn to God and seek His help they must first become worthy of His help. None of us are ever worthy. We must come to God as we are. It is He who will transform us into what we should be if we will allow Him to. But we cannot make that transformation on our own.

At the time Isaiah wrote this, Israel was still not honoring God with her worship. God stated that Israel had become weary of Him. (43:22) Therefore the people were not honoring God with their offerings and worship. God had not burdened them with the expectation of offerings or sacrifices, but the people had burdened Him with their sin. Nevertheless, God was sweeping away their trangression, not for their sake, but for His own sake.

May we get over the age-old idea that we can somehow merit or earn God's favor. And with that, may we simply place ourselves at God's mercy, repenting of our sin and allow ourselves to receive the forgiveness and salvation that He so desires to give. 

No comments:

Post a Comment