Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Reflections on Psalm 129


    Psalms 129 (Contemporary English Version)

  1. (A song for worship.) Since the time I was young, enemies have often attacked! Let everyone in Israel say:
  2. "Since the time I was young, enemies have often attacked! But they have not defeated me,
  3. though my back is like a field that has just been plowed."
  4. The LORD always does right, and he has set me free from the ropes of those cruel people.
  5. I pray that all who hate the city of Zion will be made ashamed and forced to turn and run.
  6. May they be like grass on the flat roof of a house, grass that dries up as soon as it sprouts.
  7. Don't let them be like wheat gathered in bundles.
  8. And don't let anyone who passes by say to them, "The LORD bless you! I give you my blessing in the name of the LORD."


Deliverance from captivity is a frequent theme in the psalms whereas the threat of captivity is so prominent throughout the books of history and prophecy in the Old Testament. With the exception of Exodus and Daniel, little is written that relates to the periods during Israel's captivities. This psalm is one that references a return from captivity. The writer says that frequent attack from enemies has been a reality all of his life. But he also says that the enemy has not prevailed. They have plowed furrows over his back, but the Lord is righteous and has cut the ropes of the wicked. The inference here being that in cutting the ropes of the wicked Israel was released from her captivity. Then the writer voices a prayer of vengeance for his enemies. "Let those who hate Zion be driven back in disgrace." Let them be like grass that withers before it is fully grown. Nor does he desire that any would give a blessing to his enemy saying, "May the Lord's blessing be on you."

None of us are prone to bless the hand that disciplines us. Nor are we prone to be thankful for the discipline itself. Unless we recognize our need for the discipline we will not likely benefit greatly from it other than to try to avoid it in the future in whatever way we can. But avoidance of discipline and correcting the behavior that brings it are not necessarily the same. I say these things in regard to Israel and this psalm, and in reflection upon my own trials that have resulted from need for discipline. Israel's various captivities by her enemies were direct results of her ungodly behavior and intended as discipline that she might learn to follow in the ways of the Lord. Does this psalm reflect that the lesson was learned on this occasion? I'm not sure. If it were I might more likely expect a prayer for God's help to correct the behavior and keep them from further trials from captivity. Instead we have here a prayer of vengeance for Israel's enemies who were used as the hand of discipline. There is praise to God for His deliverance, but no mention of repentance for what brought the captivity.

Our pathway is made easier with repentance, so why is repentance so hard for us to come to? The obvious response is pride. I have discovered, over time, the truth of what I just said, our pathway is made easier when we are repentant. The benefits are many, but in particular, when I admit that the Lord is right and I am wrong I find peace within myself. I am no longer at odds with my Maker and I find peace both within and without. Additionally, my life is made easier because in admitting the Lord's ways are right I adopt His ways as mine and begin avoiding the pitfalls that cause the trials.

No comments:

Post a Comment