Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Reflections on Hosea 11


    Hosea 11 (Contemporary English Version)

  1. When Israel was a child, I loved him, and I called my son out of Egypt.
  2. But as the saying goes, "The more they were called, the more they rebelled." They never stopped offering incense and sacrifices to the idols of Baal.
  3. I took Israel by the arm and taught them to walk. But they would not admit that I was the one who had healed them.
  4. I led them with kindness and with love, not with ropes. I held them close to me; I bent down to feed them.
  5. But they trusted Egypt instead of returning to me; now Assyria will rule them.
  6. War will visit their cities, and their plans will fail.
  7. My people are determined to reject me for a god they think is stronger, but he can't help.
  8. Israel, I can't let you go. I can't give you up. How could I possibly destroy you as I did the towns of Admah and Zeboiim? I just can't do it. My feelings for you are much too strong.
  9. Israel, I won't lose my temper and destroy you again. I am the Holy God-- not merely some human, and I won't stay angry.
  10. I, the LORD, will roar like a lion, and my children will return, trembling from the west.
  11. They will come back, fluttering like birds from Egypt or like doves from Assyria. Then I will bring them back to their homes. I, the LORD, have spoken!
  12. Israel is deceitful to me, their loyal and holy God; they surround me with lies, and Judah worships other gods.

An array of emotions is expressed in this chapter. First there is the emotion of nostalgia (verses 1-4) as the Lord remembers the relationship He had in the beginning with Israel. Israel was like a child to Him who He called and led out of Egypt. He taught her to walk, led her with ropes of kindness, eased her load, and gave her food. But Israel did not recognize any of this. Instead, "The more they called them, the more they departed from Me." (verse 2) In other words, the more the prophets called them to repentance, the more they went from them. She was like a rebellious child.

Next there is the emotion of anger in verses 5-7. Israel had responded to the Lord's kindness with ingratitude so judgment through military defeat and exile was to come. Again Egypt is mentioned as the symbol of slavery and exile. Israel would return to her condition from which the Lord had delivered her, and for which she had no appreciation. Israel would lose the exalted status she had held but for which she had shown no gratitude.

Following the emotion of anger comes the emotion of love. "How can I give you up, Ephraim? How can I surrender you, Israel?" The Lord decided He could not stand to vent the full fury of His anger against Israel. It was not that Israel didn't deserve it, but that the Lord could not stand it. And so the Lord had a change of heart. As the Lord viewed Israel's condition from a heart of love, He envisioned a time when she would be restored to Him, a time when "They will follow the Lord." At that time, He will roar and they will come trembling. Then He will settle them back into their homes. What a fortunate people that the Lord did not do to them what they deserved!

In reality, this whole account of Israel's relationship with the Lord, as are those throughout the Old Testament, serve as a picture of God's relationship with us all. He desires to have a close, intimate relationship with each of us, but we are not unlike Israel. We do not appreciate what He does for us and do not credit Him for what He gives us and provides for us. Instead we credit other sources for what we have - even for life itself. But He does not do to us what we deserve. We don't credit Him for that either. When things don't go well for us we think we deserve something better and we become angry with God for allowing it, or even causing it, to happen. But compared to our treatment of God, who has made us and given us everything we have, we deserve worse, not better.

No comments:

Post a Comment