Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Reflections on Isaiah 54

    Isaiah 54 (Contemporary English Version)
  1. Sing and shout, even though you have never had children! The LORD has promised that you will have more children than someone married for a long time.
  2. Make your tents larger! Spread out the tent pegs; fasten them firmly.
  3. You and your descendants will take over the land of other nations. You will settle in towns that are now in ruins.
  4. Don't be afraid or ashamed and don't be discouraged. You won't be disappointed. Forget how sinful you were when you were young; stop feeling ashamed for being left a widow.
  5. The LORD All-Powerful, the Holy God of Israel, rules all the earth. He is your Creator and husband, and he will rescue you.
  6. You were like a young wife, brokenhearted and crying because her husband had divorced her. But the LORD your God says, "I am taking you back!
  7. I rejected you for a while, but with love and tenderness I will embrace you again.
  8. For a while, I turned away in furious anger. Now I will have mercy and love you forever! I, your protector and LORD, make this promise."
  9. I once promised Noah that I would never again destroy the earth by a flood. Now I have promised that I will never again get angry and punish you.
  10. Every mountain and hill may disappear. But I will always be kind and merciful to you; I won't break my agreement to give your nation peace.
  11. Jerusalem, you are sad and discouraged, tossed around in a storm. But I, the LORD, will rebuild your city with precious stones; for your foundation I will use blue sapphires.
  12. Your fortresses will be built of rubies, your gates of jewels, and your walls of gems.
  13. I will teach your children and make them successful.
  14. You will be built on fairness with no fears of injustice; every one of your worries will be taken far from you.
  15. I will never send anyone to attack your city, and you will make prisoners of those who do attack.
  16. Don't forget that I created metalworkers who make weapons over burning coals. I also created armies that can bring destruction.
  17. Weapons made to attack you won't be successful; words spoken against you won't hurt at all. My servants, Jerusalem is yours! I, the LORD, promise to bless you with victory.



A time will come for Israel when she will no longer be deserted. This is the message of chapter 54 which follows the foretelling in chapter 53 of the coming Messiah. Israel's message of hope is wrapped up in this coming Messiah. Though it is not mentioned here, it is Israel's rejection of God that has caused God to desert her and her later rejection of the Messiah will prolong that desertion. But in the millinium Israel will return to the Lord under the reign of the Messiah and will enjoy all the benefits described in this chapter.

At the time of the millinium, Israel will "burst into song and shout" at her prosperity. This prosperity is referred to in terms of fertility and the abundance of children. Israelites will have to enlarge their tents because of this prosperity. Though God has hid His face from Israel for a time due to her sin, He will then have compassion on her with "everlasting love." (54:8) As in the days of Noah when God "swore that the waters of Noah would never flood the earth again," He is now making such a covenant regarding His desertion of Israel, swearing that He will never again be angry with her or rebuke her. Verse 10 states, "My love will not be removed from you and My covenant of peace will not be shaken."

At that time, Israel will be "established on a foundation of righteousness," no longer will her faithfulness to the Lord be fickle as it has been in all the times past. Though God's everlasting love is emphasized in this passage, it is tied to Israel's everlasting faithfulness which is finally a reality in the millenium. Then Israel will no longer have to be afraid of aggressors for God will defeat them for her. The One who created the craftsman who makes weapons of war will also make those weapons impotent against Israel.

This picture of God's relationship with His people will extend also to those Gentiles who are grafted into the family tree through Christ. 

No comments:

Post a Comment