Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Reflections on Daniel 10

    Daniel 10 (Contemporary English Version)
  1. In the third year of Cyrus the king of Persia, a message came to Daniel from God, and it was explained in a vision. The message was about a horrible war, and it was true.
  2. Daniel wrote: For three weeks I was in sorrow.
  3. I ate no fancy food or meat, I drank no wine, and I put no olive oil on my face or hair.
  4. Then, on the twenty-fourth day of the first month, I was standing on the banks of the great Tigris River,
  5. when I looked up and saw someone dressed in linen and wearing a solid gold belt.
  6. His body was like a precious stone, his face like lightning, his eyes like flaming fires, his arms and legs like polished bronze, and his voice like the roar of a crowd.
  7. Although the people who were with me did not see the vision, they became so frightened that they scattered and hid.
  8. Only I saw this great vision. I became weak and pale,
  9. and at the sound of his voice, I fell facedown in a deep sleep.
  10. He raised me to my hands and knees
  11. and then said, "Daniel, your God thinks highly of you, and he has sent me. So stand up and pay close attention." I stood trembling, while the angel said:
  12. Daniel, don't be afraid! God has listened to your prayers since the first day you humbly asked for understanding, and he has sent me here.
  13. But the guardian angel of Persia opposed me for twenty-one days. Then Michael, who is one of the strongest guardian angels, came to rescue me from the kings of Persia.
  14. Now I have come here to give you another vision about what will happen to your people in the future.
  15. While this angel was speaking to me, I stared at the ground, speechless.
  16. Then he appeared in human form and touched my lips. I said, "Sir, this vision has brought me great pain and has drained my strength.
  17. I am merely your servant. How can I possibly speak with someone so powerful, when I am almost too weak to get my breath?"
  18. The angel touched me a second time and said, "Don't be frightened! God thinks highly of you, and he intends this for your good, so be brave and strong." At this, I regained my strength and replied, "Please speak! You have already made me feel much better."
  19. (SEE 10:18)
  20. Then the angel said: Now do you understand why I have come? Soon I must leave to fight against the guardian angel of Persia. Then after I have defeated him, the guardian angel of Greece will attack me.
  21. I will tell you what is written in The Book of Truth. But first, you must realize that no one except Michael, the guardian angel of Israel, is on my side.



    Chapter 10 sets the stage for the telling of Daniel's last vision. These events took place after the Babylonian empire had fallen into the hands of Persia and was now ruled by Cyrus, king of Persia. Cyrus had released the Judean exiles to return to their homeland and rebuild. For some reason, Daniel did not return with them. In the third year of Cyrus' reign, Daniel received a message in a vision. The message was troubling to Daniel, causing him to enter into a three-week fast.

    At the conclusion of the fast Daniel was visited by an angel. Since Gabriel had been his angelic visitor in previous visitations, he may have also been the visitor on this occasion. We gain some insight into the spirit realm through this passage. Daniel's visitor revealed that although he was initially sent to Daniel on the first day of his fast he was just then, three weeks later, arriving. This was because he had been waylaid by a demon, "the prince of the kingdom of Persia." (10:13) Apparently Satan has assigned his demons positions of authority over each kingdom. Daniel's angelic visitor finally arrived after the angel Michael came to his aid and subdued the demon over Persia. When he left Daniel he would "return at once to fight against the prince of Persia." (10:20)

    This angel told Daniel that he was "treasured by God" and this was why God had sent him to Daniel. This was also why it was important enough for the angel to take a break in his spiritual warfare to go to Daniel. His mission in going to Daniel was the important mission of telling him "what is recorded in the book of truth." (10:21)

No comments:

Post a Comment