Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Reflections on Exodus 33

 
    Exodus 33 (Contemporary English Version)
  1. The LORD said to Moses: You led the people of Israel out of Egypt. Now get ready to lead them to the land I promised their ancestors Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.
  2. It is a land rich with milk and honey, and I will send an angel to force out those people who live there--the Canaanites, the Amorites, the Hittites, the Perizzites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites. I would go with my people, but they are so rebellious that I would destroy them before they get there.
  3. (SEE 33:2)
  4. Even before the LORD said these harsh things, he had told Moses, "These people really are rebellious, and I would kill them at once, if I went with them. But tell them to take off their fancy jewelry, then I'll decide what to do with them." So the people started mourning,
  5. (SEE 33:4)
  6. and after leaving Mount Sinai, they stopped wearing fancy jewelry.
  7. Moses used to set up a tent far from camp. He called it the "meeting tent," and whoever needed some message from the LORD would go there.
  8. Each time Moses went out to the tent, everyone would stand at the entrance to their own tents and watch him enter.
  9. Then they would bow down because a thick cloud would come down in front of the tent, and the LORD would speak to Moses face to face, just like a friend. Afterwards, Moses would return to camp, but his young assistant Joshua would stay at the tent.
  10. (SEE 33:9)
  11. (SEE 33:9)
  12. Moses said to the LORD, "I know that you have told me to lead these people to the land you promised them. But you have not told me who my assistant will be. You have said that you are my friend and that you are pleased with me.
  13. If this is true, let me know what your plans are, then I can obey and continue to please you. And don't forget that you have chosen this nation to be your own."
  14. The LORD said, "I will go with you and give you peace."
  15. Then Moses replied, "If you aren't going with us, please don't make us leave this place.
  16. But if you do go with us, everyone will know that you are pleased with your people and with me. That way, we will be different from the rest of the people on earth."
  17. So the LORD told him, "I will do what you have asked, because I am your friend and I am pleased with you."
  18. Then Moses said, "I pray that you will let me see you in all of your glory."
  19. The LORD answered: All right. I am the LORD, and I show mercy and kindness to anyone I choose. I will let you see my glory and hear my holy name,
  20. but I won't let you see my face, because anyone who sees my face will die.
  21. There is a rock not far from me. Stand beside it,
  22. and before I pass by in all of my shining glory, I will put you in a large crack in the rock. I will cover your eyes with my hand until I have passed by.
  23. Then I will take my hand away, and you will see my back. You will not see my face.

    Repercussions of Israel's sin of idolatry are still seen in this chapter. God's anger was so great over Israel's forming an idol so soon after agreeing to a covenant with Him that forebid idols that He wanted to destroy them. But Moses interceded pointing out that the Egyptians would claim He had evil intent in taking them out of Egypt. He also pointed out that God "swore to Your servants Abraham, Isaac, and Israel by Yourself and declared to them, 'I will make your offspring as numerous as the stars of the sky and will give your offspring all this land that I have promised, and they will inherit it forever.'" (32:13) God then changed His mind about destroying Israel.

    Though God changed His mind about destroying Israel, He was still angry with the people. In the first verse of this chapter God told Moses to leave Sinai and take the people to the land He had promised. He promised to send an angel ahead of them along the journey to protect them from the other nations. But God said that He, Himself, would not go with them. Because they were "a stiff-necked people," He feared He might destroy them on the way. (33:3) At this news, the people had the good sense to mourn.

    Since God withdrew His presence from the camp, Moses set up a tent outside the camp that he called "the tent of meeting." It was not, however, the tabernacle, also referred to as the tent of meeting, for which God had given him designs. Moses went to this tent when he wanted to meet with God. When he entered the tent a pillar of cloud would come over the tent, indicating the Lord's presence, and would remain over the tent until Moses left. The people watched and bowed in worship at the door of their tents as Moses met with the Lord outside the camp. Verse 11 tells us that "The LORD spoke with Moses face to face, just as a man speaks with his friend." Out of this close relationship with God Moses asked God to "please teach me Your ways, and I will know You and find favor in Your sight. Now consider that this nation is Your people." (33:12) At this, God relented and said, "My presence will go with you." (33:14) In response, Moses told God that if His presence didn't go with them not to make them leave where they were.

    To Moses, gaining the land God promised was no gain without God's presence. The joy was in the Lord, not in the land. This is a truth worth remembering. It is not in things or places or positions that we find joy and happiness. It is only possible with God. Moses went on to point out that it was God's presence with His people that distinguished them from all other people. He could not withhold His presence from them.

No comments:

Post a Comment