Saturday, July 5, 2014

Reflections on Psalms 138

 Psalms 138(Contemporary English Version)
  1. (By David.) With all my heart I praise you, LORD. In the presence of angels I sing your praises.
  2. I worship at your holy temple and praise you for your love and your faithfulness. You were true to your word and made yourself more famous than ever before.
  3. When I asked for your help, you answered my prayer and gave me courage.
  4. All kings on this earth have heard your promises, LORD, and they will praise you.
  5. You are so famous that they will sing about the things you have done.
  6. Though you are above us all, you care for humble people, and you keep a close watch on everyone who is proud.
  7. I am surrounded by trouble, but you protect me against my angry enemies. With your own powerful arm you keep me safe.
  8. You, LORD, will always treat me with kindness. Your love never fails. You have made us what we are. Don't give up on us now!

David was moved to give thanks and praise to God because He had heard and answered David's prayer and "increased strength within me." Through David's praise we learn that God is exalted above everything else. But though God is so highly exalted, He favors those who are humble rather than those who are haughty. After all, it is the humble who allow God's favor while the haughty think they don't need it as they feel sufficient in themselves. David felt that once the kings of the earth were aware of what God has promised, they would all give Him thanks. This is more a testimony to God's greatness than to the integrity of the kings of the earth.

David was confident of the Lord's protection, proclaiming that if he should "walk in the thick of danger," God would preserve his life. But why shouldn't he be confident? He had witnessed the Lord's protection repeatedly when he walked in the thick of danger. Are we also confident of the Lord's protection? If not, why not? Has He not helped in the past? If you say no, are you so sure that God has not helped you or is it that you have not credited to Him the help you have received in the past?

No comments:

Post a Comment