Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Reflections on Proverbs 8

 Proverbs 08 (Contemporary English Version)
  1. With great understanding, Wisdom is calling out
  2. as she stands at the crossroads and on every hill.
  3. She stands by the city gate where everyone enters the city, and she shouts:
  4. "I am calling out to each one of you!
  5. Good sense and sound judgment can be yours.
  6. Listen, because what I say is worthwhile and right.
  7. I always speak the truth and refuse to tell a lie.
  8. Every word I speak is honest, not one is misleading or deceptive.
  9. "If you have understanding, you will see that my words are just what you need.
  10. Let instruction and knowledge mean more to you than silver or the finest gold.
  11. Wisdom is worth much more than precious jewels or anything else you desire."
  12. If you respect the LORD, you will hate evil. I hate pride and conceit and deceitful lies.
  13. By my power kings govern, and rulers make laws that are fair.
  14. Every honest leader rules with help from me.
  15. What you receive from me is more valuable than even the finest gold or the purest silver.
  16. I always do what is right,
  17. and I give great riches to everyone who loves me.
  18. From the beginning, I was with the LORD. I was there before he began
  19. to create the earth. At the very first, the LORD gave life to me.
  20. When I was born, there were no oceans or springs of water.
  21. My birth was before mountains were formed or hills were put in place.
  22. It happened long before God had made the earth or any of its fields or even the dust.
  23. I was there when the LORD put the heavens in place and stretched the sky over the surface of the sea.
  24. I was with him when he placed the clouds in the sky and created the springs that fill the ocean.
  25. I was there when he set boundaries for the sea to make it obey him, and when he laid foundations to support the earth.
  26. I was right beside the LORD, helping him plan and build. I made him happy each day, and I was happy at his side.
  27. I was pleased with his world and pleased with its people.
  28. Pay attention, my children! Follow my advice, and you will be happy.
  29. Listen carefully to my instructions, and you will be wise.
  30. Come to my home each day and listen to me. You will find happiness.
  31. By finding me, you find life, and the LORD will be pleased with you.
  32. But if you don't find me, you hurt only yourself, and if you hate me, you are in love with death.

Solomon speaks of wisdom in chapter 8 as if it were a woman, giving a contrast to the forbidden woman just described in the previous chapter. The opening verses of this chapter describe wisdom calling out to all to receive wisdom and learn to be shrewd and develop common sense. Whereas the forbidden woman accosted young men, wisdom merely invites. Those who accept her invitation must come to her. The forbidden woman represents evil in general, showing how it sets a trap to ensnare its victims. But wisdom forces no one. The invitation is given to all and then the choice and initiative is up to each person.

Having conveyed that wisdom invites all and is available to all, Solomon now describes wisdom's appeal. Those who acquire wisdom speak only truth and detest wickedness. No deception is found among the wise. The words of wisdom are clear to all who are perceptive, suggesting that they are not clear to the foolish. Wisdom's value is greater than silver or gold. One is better wise than wealthy.

It is important to recognize that wisdom is built on the foundation of truth. Nothing that is deceptive, though claiming to be wise, is truly wise. So building on this foundation, Solomon goes on to offer more of wisdom's appeal. She offers shrewdness, knowledge, and discretion. With these attributes we can understand that wisdom is never naive. While it is clever and knowledgeable, it is not offensive or gossipy. Wise advice is good and can be trusted for it is competent. It walks in the way of righteousness and along the path of justice. Any counsel one might receive that is not upright or just can be discarded as unwise.

Verses 22-31 speak of wisdom's existence with God prior to creation. We can understand from this that wisdom is unchanging as is truth. It was established prior to man's existence and has not changed though generation by generation mankind prides himself on becoming more progressive, presuming also to become wiser. With this changing nature of man, one generation may reject wisdom thinking it to be outdated and that a new "wisdom" has been established. But man just fools himself, rejecting wisdom for foolishness.

Our pursuit of happiness will be elusive until we pursue wisdom. True wisdom. God's wisdom. Happiness will then be the byproduct. Really living is not living dangerously but living wisely.

No comments:

Post a Comment