Monday, July 13, 2015

Reflections on Hosea 11

 Hosea 11  (Contemporary English Version)
  1. When Israel was a child, I loved him, and I called my son out of Egypt.
  2. But as the saying goes, "The more they were called, the more they rebelled." They never stopped offering incense and sacrifices to the idols of Baal.
  3. I took Israel by the arm and taught them to walk. But they would not admit that I was the one who had healed them.
  4. I led them with kindness and with love, not with ropes. I held them close to me; I bent down to feed them.
  5. But they trusted Egypt instead of returning to me; now Assyria will rule them.
  6. War will visit their cities, and their plans will fail.
  7. My people are determined to reject me for a god they think is stronger, but he can't help.
  8. Israel, I can't let you go. I can't give you up. How could I possibly destroy you as I did the towns of Admah and Zeboiim? I just can't do it. My feelings for you are much too strong.
  9. Israel, I won't lose my temper and destroy you again. I am the Holy God-- not merely some human, and I won't stay angry.
  10. I, the LORD, will roar like a lion, and my children will return, trembling from the west.
  11. They will come back, fluttering like birds from Egypt or like doves from Assyria. Then I will bring them back to their homes. I, the LORD, have spoken!
  12. Israel is deceitful to me, their loyal and holy God; they surround me with lies, and Judah worships other gods.

The Lord spoke in these passages as a parent, recalling the early days when He first took Israel out of Egypt. He had taught Israel to 'walk', taking them by the arm and leading them "with ropes of kindness." He was the one who eased their load. But Israel was like a rebellious child never recognizing God for what He did for them. Instead she gave the credit to idols. When the Lord sent prophets to them they pulled away all the more. Therefore, Israel would go to the land of Assyria because she refused to repent.

In verse 6, God, speaking through His anger with Israel, was ready to destroy her because of her continual scheming. She seemed bent on turning from Him. But as His anger subsided His compassion was stirred. How could He give up Israel? His love for her was too strong. But regardless of the Lord's love and compassion toward Israel, her behavior could not be overlooked. She still must be punished. But the Lord would not vent His full fury on her. He would punish her but He would not destroy her.

God envisioned a time when His children, Israel, will come trembling to Him. When she does, she will be settled in her home. Though this time has not yet come, the Lord has declared it, and so it will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment