Thursday, November 26, 2015

Deceit: An alarm That Can Point to Truth

Reflections for this date are based on the following scripture passages:
Matthew 27 Matthew 28 Genesis 19 Genesis 20 Psalms 8 Proverbs 3

Deception should always serve as a clue to us that we are on the wrong track. It is not just the fact we are being deceit, but of greater concern is the reason for our deceit. For deceit is always used to cover a wrong. We convince ourselves that the track we are on is right and then that the deceit is necessary for the good of our right cause. It is at that point that an alarm should be going off. If our cause is so right why should deceit even be necessary? If it is right, its merit should be defense enough. Why resort to deceit? It should be at this point that the alarm in our heads sounds and we realize that we are resorting to deceit because our cause is not as right as we have convinced ourselves that it is.

These are the thoughts I bring from my reading of Matthew 27 & 28. I ask myself why such a violent reaction reaction to Jesus? I'm aware of the obvious responses to that question, the most obvious being that their religion and way of life were being threatened. I also ask myself how I might have reacted. How could I be certain this man was who he claimed to be? There are also obvious responses to this question such as the various miracles Jesus performed. These should have been sufficient evidence of who He was. But then I come to the arrest and trial of Jesus. Deceit was used from beginning to end. False witnesses were engaged and charges were trumped up. Not even Pilate was convinced Jesus had done anything wrong. And then, even when Jesus was resurrected, deceit was used to cover it up.

A person serious about their relationship with God and about doing the right thing may have had doubts about this man Jesus, but once they began to engage in deceit to protect their cause the alarms should have sounded. Am I willing to be right at any cost or am I more concerned about always being in pursuit of truth? While seeking to discover the truth of a given situation may be confusing at times, resorting to deceit in the midst of that confusion should be a clue that points us to the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment