Thursday, January 14, 2016

Encountering the Living God

Reflections for this date are based on the following scripture passages:
Luke 1 Luke 2 Luke 3 Exodus 21 Exodus 22

Hebrews 10:31 states that, "It is a terrifying thing to fall into the hands of the living God!" Conversely, I think it could be said that "It is an awesome thing to encounter the living God!" The first chapter of Luke is filled with God's interaction with people who were a part of His plan of salvation for all people.

Verses 11-13 record Zechariah's encounter with an angel while he was fulfilling his priestly duties in the temple. The angel announced to him that he and his wife Elizabeth would have a son who would be named John. Next, in verses 26-31 is Gabriel's announcement to Mary that she would be the mother of Jesus. And then, in verse 41 is the account of Elizabeth's baby leaping inside her as Mary, who was pregnant with Jesus, came to her and greeted her. Finally, in the last portion of the chapter, we have the account of Zechariah being filled with the Holy Spirit at the birth of John the Baptist and prophesying.

I can hardly imagine the exhilaration experienced by Mary, Elizabeth, and Zechariah when they realized God's presence with them and communication with them through these encounters. I recall an experience of my own in which I felt a strong presence of the Lord while reading my Bible. Through this experience I felt God's call on my life to serve Him. It was a very real and awesome experience - one I was inclined to take seriously and to respond favorably to the Lord. I can only imagine the feelings of these three, recorded in Luke, who were not only approached by an angel who they could see and realize that they had been called upon by God to fulfill the prophesy of the promised Messiah.

Mary's response, "I am the Lord's slave. May it be done to me according to your word." (V. 38) seems the only reasonable response.

No comments:

Post a Comment