Thursday, April 21, 2016

Love the Lord Totally

Reflections for this date are based on the following scripture passages:
John 18 Deuteronomy 6 Proverbs 21

Deuteronomy chapter 6 gives account of Moses' farewell address to Israel prior to his death and to Israel's entry into Canaan. This was a crucial time for Israel as the nation was about to take possession of the land God had promised to them and for which they had anticipated the previous 40 years. There was only one way they could succeed in this endeavor and Moses reminded them of this in his address to them. That way was to "Love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength." It was the Lord who planned this for Israel and victory would come only through Him.

This venture for Israel serves as an analogy for us in terms of life. Life is a gift of God who is our Maker. We can only expect to succeed in this life as Israel could expect to succeed in taking possession of the land God promised them, and that is to "Love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength."

The question for any of us who pursue God and the life He has promised is, "Do I love God to this degree? Is my love total?" Total love is certainly what is intended by loving God with all our heart, soul, and strength. But does my love for God even come close to being total? How much do I even seek God's guidance in my day-to-day decisions? How diligently do I seek God's plan and purpose for my life and live by it? Do I say to God, and mean it, "Here I am. Send me." How much do we even trust that God will provide for us if we step out to live the life He has for us? How much do we trust that the life He intends for us will be good and something we will desire?

No comments:

Post a Comment