Monday, May 2, 2016

Judging Versus Discerning


Reflections for this date are based on the following scripture passages:
1 John 4 Deuteronomy 11

Is there a difference between judging and discerning? Consider dictionary definitions of the two: judging is said to "form an opinion or estimation of after careful consideration." while discerning is to "Exhibit keen insight and good judgment; perceptive." Both involve forming an opinion or judgment. The main difference between the two may have to do with the motivation and the outcome. In making a judgment, one may be more conclusive about it, acting accordingly, while in making a discernment, one may hold the opinion or judgment in reserve keeping an open mind.

The question of judging or discerning comes to mind with the reading of 1 John 4:20-21: "If anyone says, 'I love God,' yet hates his brother, he is a liar. For the person who does not love his brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen. And we have this command from Him: the one who loves God must also love his brother." If I observe one who says he loves God speaking or acting unkindly toward a person do I not form an opinion or make a discernment concerning this person? I will naturally do so. But while doing so I will also put myself in check on two points: First, I will consider my own thoughts and actions. Am I guilty of similar behavior? and Second, I will consider my actions toward that person. Am I going to conclude that the opinion I formed based on their unkindness is conclusive and therefore treat them accordingly, or will I store away this information and hold my opinion in reserve? Will I continue to treat the person with kindness and consideration?

Jesus taught in Matthew 7:1, "Do not judge, so that you won't be judged." But in verse 5 He added, "Hypocrite! First take the log out of your eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye." He was not necessarily saying that judgments should never be made, but rather that they begin with ourselves. It is necessary to be discerning so that we are not taken in by false teachers or taken advantage of by those whose words are not supported by their actions. If someone speaks of his love for God but I observe his treatment of others to be unkind and inconsiderate, I will be kind to that person while also being slow to fully embrace them. If they are being deceptive about this, in what else might they be deceptive? I will be careful about committing myself to them, but will also not assume I have the full picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment