Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Reflections on Psalm 91

 
    Psalm 91 (Contemporary English Version)

  1. Live under the protection of God Most High and stay in the shadow of God All-Powerful.
  2. you will say to the LORD, "You are my fortress, my place of safety; you are my God, and I trust you."
  3. Lord will keep you safe from secret traps and deadly diseases.
  4. will spread his wings over you and keep you secure. His faithfulness is like a shield or a city wall.
  5. won't need to worry about dangers at night or arrows during the day.
  6. you won't fear diseases that strike in the dark or sudden disaster at noon.
  7. will not be harmed, though thousands fall all around you.
  8. with your own eyes you will see the punishment of the wicked.
  9. LORD Most High is your fortress. Run to him for safety,
  10. no terrible disasters will strike you or your home.
  11. will command his angels to protect you wherever you go.
  12. will carry you in their arms, and you won't hurt your feet on the stones.
  13. will overpower the strongest lions and the most deadly snakes.
  14. Lord says, "If you love me and truly know who I am, I will rescue you and keep you safe.
  15. you are in trouble, call out to me. I will answer and be there to protect and honor you.
  16. will live a long life and see my saving power."




The theme of psalm 91 is stated outright. It is about the protection that is ours when we live "in the shadow of the Almighty." It starts with a declaration on our part, along with the psalmist, to make God "My refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust." Verses 3-13 then tell of the Lord's protection against the plague for those who trust in Him. Does it sound like an insurance policy? If a person is motivated to "dwell in the shadow of the Almighty" out of a desire to receive His protection, I would hope that in time that person would continue to serve the Lord out of a relationship of love. In reality, that is the only way it will work. We cannot serve the Lord for long under an arrangement of convenience if our heart is not in it for what is in our hearts will come out and void the arrangement. Only if we determine to place our trust in God from a heart truly committed to Him will it work and then we receive His blessings and protection, not as a reason for trusting Him, but as a side benefit.

According to the psalmist those whose trust is in the Lord will not be touched by the plague. They will see its affect as others are struck by it, but no harm will come to them. This is because the Lord will send His angels for protection. Some suppose the psalm was written by David at the time the Lord sent a plague because of his disobedience in numbering the people (2 Samuel 24).

No comments:

Post a Comment