Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Reflections on Psalms 4

 Psalms 04(Contemporary English Version)
  1. (A psalm by David for the music leader. Use stringed instruments.) You are my God and protector. Please answer my prayer. I was in terrible distress, but you set me free. Now have pity and listen as I pray.
  2. How long will you people refuse to respect me? You love foolish things, and you run after what is worthless.
  3. The LORD has chosen everyone who is faithful to be his very own, and he answers my prayers.
  4. But each of you had better tremble and turn from your sins. Silently search your heart as you lie in bed.
  5. Offer the proper sacrifices and trust the LORD.
  6. There are some who ask, "Who will be good to us?" Let your kindness, LORD, shine brightly on us.
  7. You brought me more happiness than a rich harvest of grain and grapes.
  8. I can lie down and sleep soundly because you, LORD, will keep me safe.

The occasion for this Psalm is not provided, but many believe it to be related to the occasion of Psalm 3 in which David's son, Absalom, was pursuing him. Whether or not this is the case, verse 2 lets us know that David, the writer, was being maligned by those who wished to bring him down.

As the Psalm begins, the Psalmist is somewhat distressed: "Answer me when I call, God, who vindicates me." He returns to God for help because He had previously "freed me from affliction." Now he asks that God will "be gracious to me and hear my prayer." (4:1)

Having invoked God to answer his prayer, the Psalmist turns to address those who insult his honor. They are pursuing a lie, he tells them, motivated by what is worthless. In so doing, they should know that the Lord has set him apart for Himself and will hear when he calls. Suggesting, that their assaults on his honor are also against the Lord. Next, the Psalmist counsels his adversaries not to sin in their anger. Instead, they should "reflect in your heart and be still." Then they should worship the Lord, offering sacrifices and turning their trust to the Lord.

The Psalmist then turns his attention back to the Lord saying that the Lord gives him more joy that can be found in the prosperity of much grain and wine. In the Lord, he has found peace that allows him to lie down and sleep. This is possible only in the Lord who makes him "live in safety." (4:8)

No comments:

Post a Comment