Monday, October 28, 2013

Reflections on Psalms 7

 Psalms 07(Contemporary English Version)
  1. (Written by David. He sang this to the LORD because of Cush from the tribe of Benjamin.) You, LORD God, are my protector. Rescue me and keep me safe from all who chase me.
  2. Or else they will rip me apart like lions attacking a victim, and no one will save me.
  3. I am innocent, LORD God!
  4. I have not betrayed a friend or had pity on an enemy who attacks for no reason.
  5. If I have done any of this, then let my enemies chase and capture me. Let them stomp me to death and leave me in the dirt.
  6. Get angry, LORD God! Do something! Attack my furious enemies. See that justice is done.
  7. Make the nations come to you, as you sit on your throne above them all.
  8. Our LORD, judge the nations! Judge me and show that I am honest and innocent.
  9. You know every heart and mind, and you always do right. Now make violent people stop, but protect all of us who obey you.
  10. You, God, are my shield, the protector of everyone whose heart is right.
  11. You see that justice is done, and each day you take revenge.
  12. Whenever your enemies refuse to change their ways, you sharpen your sword and string your bow.
  13. Your deadly arrows are ready with flaming tips.
  14. An evil person is like a woman about to give birth to a hateful, deceitful, and rebellious child.
  15. Such people dig a deep hole, then fall in it themselves.
  16. The trouble they cause comes back on them, and their heads are crushed by their own evil deeds.
  17. I will praise you, LORD! You always do right. I will sing about you, the LORD Most High.

Psalm 7 is thought to have been written by David during the period in which he was fleeing from Saul. Cush, the subject of the Psalm, was from the tribe of Benjamin which was also Saul's tribe, and may have been one of Saul's lieutenants who was pursuing David.

David reached out to God as his only hope of rescue. If God didn't rescue him "they will tear me like a lion, ripping me apart, with no one to rescue me." (7:2) His expectation of God's help assumed his enemy to be evil, himself to be righteous, and God to have "ordained a judgment" against those who are evil, vindicating those who are righteous. But he leaves the determination of his righteousness in God's hands, asking Him to vindicate him, "according to my righteousness and my integrity."

David's hope of rescue from his enemy is based on his confidence in God as a righteous God. God examines the thoughts and emotions of the people and deals righteously with what He finds. David asks that God will "Let the evil of the wicked come to an end, but establish the righteous." (7:9) In so doing, David will be rescued for he is one of the righteous. In the end, David prays that the violence of the evil will fall "on the top of his head" and once vindicated David will "thank the LORD for His righteousness; I will sing about the name of the LORD, the Most High." (7:17)

No comments:

Post a Comment