Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Reflections on Psalms 28

 Psalms 28(Contemporary English Version)
  1. (By David.) Only you, LORD, are a mighty rock! Don't refuse to help me when I pray. If you don't answer me, I will soon be dead.
  2. Please listen to my prayer and my cry for help, as I lift my hands toward your holy temple.
  3. Don't drag me away, LORD, with those cruel people, who speak kind words, while planning trouble.
  4. Treat them as they deserve! Punish them for their sins.
  5. They don't pay any attention to your wonderful deeds. Now you will destroy them and leave them in ruin.
  6. I praise you, LORD, for answering my prayers.
  7. You are my strong shield, and I trust you completely. You have helped me, and I will celebrate and thank you in song.
  8. You give strength to your people, LORD, and you save and protect your chosen ones.
  9. Come save us and bless us. Be our shepherd and always carry us in your arms.

David seems to have been in imminent danger when he wrote this psalm. This was not his first appeal to God for help regarding this particular danger as is suggested in the first verse, "If You remain silent to me, I will be like those going down to the Pit." His situation was becoming more urgent and he feared his fate would be the same as the wicked who tormented him: "Do not drag me away with the wicked."

In Psalm 27 David encouraged others to "Wait for the LORD." (27:14) In my reflections on this psalm I mentioned that in waiting on the Lord we demonstrate true faith, and the longer the wait the greater the demonstration. Waiting on the Lord is one of the hardest things we will ever do. In our waiting it begins to appear to us that the wicked who give no thought to the Lord are better off than are we. This may be what David was experiencing when he wrote this psalm. He had prayed for God's help repeatedly and then waited and waited for it to come and yet he was still in his predicament. He became concerned that though he trusted in the Lord his plight was no better than those who gave no thought to the Lord and who practiced wickedness.

In verses 4 & 5 David asked the Lord to repay the wicked, "according to what they have done--according to the evil of their deeds." He was appealing to a God He believed to be just. If He dealt with the wicked according to their deeds He would also deal with the righteous according to theirs. Though the wicked "do not consider what the LORD has done or the work of His hands," David knew that he did consider what the Lord has done. Justice demanded that the wicked be torn down and he be built up. This was David's plea.

Though David may have come to the Lord expressing doubt ("do not be deaf to me"), he did not go away from the Lord in doubt, but in praising. "May the LORD be praised, for He has heard the sound of my pleading." (28:6) Had David yet witnessed the Lord's response to his prayer? No! But through prayer he was encouraged and assured that the Lord had heard him and would help him. Out of this assurance his "heart rejoices, and I praise Him with my song." (28:7)

David began the psalm, as he entered into prayer, in weakness and concluded it, after spending time in prayer, in strength. Prayer is not so much about putting in our request to God and expecting Him to deliver, but is much more about changing us as we relate to the Lord. It is more about relationship and less about getting what we ask for. It is even possible that through the relationship what we ask for may change.

No comments:

Post a Comment