Thursday, December 19, 2013

Reflections on Psalms 38

 Psalms 38(Contemporary English Version)
  1. (A psalm by David to be used when an offering is made.) When you are angry, LORD, please don't punish me or even correct me.
  2. You shot me with your arrows, and you struck me with your hand.
  3. My body hurts all over because of your anger. Even my bones are in pain, and my sins
  4. are so heavy that I am crushed.
  5. Because of my foolishness, I am covered with sores that stink and spread.
  6. My body is twisted and bent, and I groan all day long.
  7. Fever has my back in flames, and I hurt all over.
  8. I am worn out and weak, moaning and in distress.
  9. You, Lord, know every one of my deepest desires, and my noisy groans are no secret to you.
  10. My heart is beating fast. I feel weak all over, and my eyes are red.
  11. Because of my sickness, no friends or neighbors will come near me.
  12. All who want me dead set traps to catch me, and those who want to harm and destroy me plan and plot all day.
  13. I am not able to hear or speak a word;
  14. I am completely deaf and can't make a sound.
  15. I trust you, LORD God, and you will do something.
  16. I said, "Don't let them laugh or brag because I slip."
  17. I am about to collapse from constant pain.
  18. I told you my sins, and I am sorry for them.
  19. Many deadly and powerful enemies hate me,
  20. and they repay evil for good because I try to do right.
  21. You are the LORD God! Stay nearby and don't desert me.
  22. You are the one who saves me. Please hurry and help.

David in this psalm expresses the pain of sin in his life. His pain seems to be a combination of the Lord's discipline upon him along with the devastation of his own guilt, for he says in verse 3, "There is no soundness in my body because of Your (the Lord's) indignation; there is no health in my bones because of my sin." The result of his sin is that it had become "a burden too heavy for (him) to bear." (38:4) He went around all day in mourning, and the burden of it took a toll on him physically, for his "heart races, my strength leaves me, and even the light of my eyes has faded." (38:10)

But the effects went beyond him personally to his friends and family. For whatever reason, they kept their distance from him. Were they uncaring or his condition so unpleasant they couldn't stand to be around him? Then there were his enemies who saw his suffering as an opportunity to destroy him - to strike him while he was down. He was defenseless to their attacks. He ignored them as if he didn't hear, nor did he speak in his own defense. He could only turn to the Lord, "I put my hope in You, LORD; You will answer, Lord my God." (38:15)

Between his physical and emotional suffering, his lack of support from friends and family, and the attacks from his enemies, he said, "I am about to fall." (38:18) So he confesses his guilt. It was not his friends, family, or enemies who were to blame for his situation. It was his sin, and he did not attempt to divert the guilt. His only recourse was to confess his guilt and place himself at God's mercy, seeking not only God's forgiveness but also His salvation from those who sought to destroy him. Was his confidence in the Lord ill-placed? No. He, himself, had already experienced God's forgiveness and mercy and proclaimed in Psalms 86, "For You, Lord, are kind and ready to forgive, abundant in faithful love to all who call on You." Also, the Apostle John tells us in 1 John 1 that "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

No comments:

Post a Comment