Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Reflections on Psalms 61

 Psalms 61(Contemporary English Version)
  1. (A psalm by David for the music leader. Use with stringed instruments.) Please listen, God, and answer my prayer!
  2. I feel hopeless, and I cry out to you from a faraway land. Lead me to the mighty rock high above me.
  3. You are a strong tower, where I am safe from my enemies.
  4. Let me live with you forever and find protection under your wings, my God.
  5. You heard my promises, and you have blessed me, just as you bless everyone who worships you.
  6. Let the king have a long and healthy life.
  7. May he always rule with you, God, at his side; may your love and loyalty watch over him.
  8. I will sing your praises forever and will always keep my promises.

David was no doubt in another of his "cliff-hanging" predicaments when he wrote this psalm, crying out to God for help. We are given no clue as to the occasion, nor is it really important to our drawing encouragement and strength from it for our own "cliff-hanging" predicaments. To David, the Lord was "The Rock That Is Higher Than I," a statement that has inspired songs of comfort throughout the centuries.

David longed to be on this Rock that was higher than himself, or in other words, he longed to be in the presence of the Lord. For this Rock provided him refuge and was a "strong tower in the face of the enemy." Changing metaphors, David said, " I will live in Your tent forever and take refuge under the shelter of Your wings." (61:4) Though he could not physically live in the Lord's tent or take refuge under His wings, he could do so mentally, finding emotional safety and calm from the dangers he faced physically. And he was confident that soon he would find safety physically as a result of the Lord's protection.

His prayer was that the Lord would "Add days to the kings' (his) life," thus sparing him from the threat he faced. He wasn't seeking to leave this life to live in the Lord's tent in heaven where he would be free from the dangers of life. He simply desired to find comfort in the Lord and to be rescued to live another day - in fact to live many generations.

No comments:

Post a Comment