Thursday, February 6, 2014

Reflections on Psalms 62

 Psalms 62(Contemporary English Version)
  1. (A psalm by David for Jeduthun, the music leader.) Only God can save me, and I calmly wait for him.
  2. God alone is the mighty rock that keeps me safe and the fortress where I am secure.
  3. I feel like a shaky fence or a sagging wall. How long will all of you attack and assault me?
  4. You want to bring me down from my place of honor. You love to tell lies, and when your words are kind, hatred hides in your heart.
  5. Only God gives inward peace, and I depend on him.
  6. God alone is the mighty rock that keeps me safe, and he is the fortress where I feel secure.
  7. God saves me and honors me. He is that mighty rock where I find safety.
  8. Trust God, my friends, and always tell him each one of your concerns. God is our place of safety.
  9. We humans are only a breath; none of us are truly great. All of us together weigh less than a puff of air.
  10. Don't trust in violence or depend on dishonesty or rely on great wealth.
  11. I heard God say two things: "I am powerful,
  12. and I am very kind." The Lord rewards each of us according to what we do.

The theme of this psalm is, "God Alone." God alone can be depended upon for salvation and security. Therefore David says, "Rest in God alone, my soul, for my hope comes from Him." (62:5)

By contrast, David points to other sources that do not stand up to God. One source is those who threaten and oppress. Their plans to bring a man down will not stand up against God. Another source we should neither fear or depend upon is exalted men. They should not be depended upon for our salvation or feared as a threat. We should rest in God alone, for He alone is our hope. Further, we should not look to wealth as a source of hope. David says, "If wealth increases, pay no attention to it." (62:10) If our wealth increases we will be tempted to place our security and hope in it. But again, we should rest in God alone.

Oppression is another source we should not turn to for our hope and security. When threatened by others we may be tempted to use their tactics of oppression to get the upper hand. But David says this is not our hope. God alone is our hope. Implied in all of this as a source of security or hope is ourselves. We cannot depend on ourselves as a source of salvation or security. Though we may feel that we can only depend on ourselves to take care of our own interest, we are no more capable than these other sources of providing our own salvation and security. We need to rest in God alone.

David said he had heard two things from God: "strength belongs to God, and faithful love belongs to You, LORD." (62:11, 12) God alone is truly strong, and God alone is faithful in His love.

No comments:

Post a Comment