Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Reflections on Psalms 81

 Psalms 81(Contemporary English Version)
  1. (By Asaph for the music leader.) Be happy and shout to God who makes us strong! Shout praises to the God of Jacob.
  2. Sing as you play tambourines and the lovely sounding stringed instruments.
  3. Sound the trumpets and start the New Moon Festival. We must also celebrate when the moon is full.
  4. This is the law in Israel, and it was given to us by the God of Jacob.
  5. The descendants of Joseph were told to obey it, when God led them out from the land of Egypt. In a language unknown to me, I heard someone say:
  6. "I lifted the burden from your shoulder and took the heavy basket from your hands.
  7. When you were in trouble, I rescued you, and from the thunderclouds, I answered your prayers. Later I tested you at Meribah Spring.
  8. "Listen, my people, while I, the Lord, correct you! Israel, if you would only pay attention to me!
  9. Don't worship foreign gods or bow down to gods you know nothing about.
  10. I am the LORD your God. I rescued you from Egypt. Just ask, and I will give you whatever you need.
  11. "But, my people, Israel, you refused to listen, and you would have nothing to do with me!
  12. So I let you be stubborn and keep on following your own advice.
  13. "My people, Israel, if only you would listen and do as I say!
  14. I, the LORD, would quickly defeat your enemies with my mighty power.
  15. Everyone who hates me would come crawling, and that would be the end of them.
  16. But I would feed you with the finest bread and with the best honey until you were full."

Asaph, in this psalm, calls the people to give praise to the Lord during the Feast of Tabernacles. He reminds Israel that it is a statute for Israel to "Blow the horn during the new moon and during the full moon, on the day of our feast." (81:3) God established this festival with Israel after He relieved her burden in Egypt.

Asaph then recalled God's words to them promising to fulfill their needs if they would only give Him allegiance. He was the one who brought them out of Egypt, not any foreign god, so they were not to bow down to any other god. But Israel did not listen and obey, so God "gave them over to their stubborn hearts to follow their own plans." (81:12) This did not go well for Israel nor does it go well for us. But though God turned Israel over to following her own plans, He lamented, "If only My people would listen to Me and Israel would follow My ways." (81:13) If she would, God would "quickly subdue their enemies and turn My hand against their foes." (81:14) Furthermore, "He would feed Israel with the best wheat. I would satisfy you with honey from the rock." (81:16)

Contrary to the thought of many, God delights in blessing His people, not punishing them. But we turn God away and then blame Him when He is not there when we get ourselves in trouble. But God does not force Himself upon us. We must give Him permission to help us. This is what our worship of Him does - give Him permission to bless us and help us when we are in trouble. When we do not worship Him or give Him any attention, we withhold permission for Him to operate in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment