Monday, March 24, 2014

Reflections on Psalms 86

 Psalms 86(Contemporary English Version)
  1. (A prayer by David.) Please listen, LORD, and answer my prayer! I am poor and helpless.
  2. Protect me and save me because you are my God. I am your faithful servant, and I trust you.
  3. Be kind to me! I pray to you all day.
  4. Make my heart glad! I serve you, and my prayer is sincere.
  5. You willingly forgive, and your love is always there for those who pray to you.
  6. Please listen, LORD! Answer my prayer for help.
  7. When I am in trouble, I pray, knowing you will listen.
  8. No other gods are like you; only you work miracles.
  9. You created each nation, and they will all bow down to worship and honor you.
  10. You perform great wonders because you alone are God.
  11. Teach me to follow you, and I will obey your truth. Always keep me faithful.
  12. With all my heart I thank you. I praise you, LORD God.
  13. Your love for me is so great that you protected me from death and the grave.
  14. Proud and violent enemies, who don't care about you, have ganged up to attack and kill me.
  15. But you, the Lord God, are kind and merciful. You don't easily get angry, and your love can always be trusted.
  16. I serve you, LORD, and I am the child of one of your servants. Look on me with kindness. Make me strong and save me.
  17. Show that you approve of me! Then my hateful enemies will feel like fools, because you have helped and comforted me.

In this section of the psalms of Asaph and Korah, a psalm of David was slipped in. Violent men were conspiring to take his life and David prayed for God's help. He did not mention until later in the psalm the nature of his need, but initially only mentions that he was "poor and needy." In the first five verses he asked God to listen and answer him, to protect him, to be gracious to him, and to bring joy to him. With each of these requests he gave a reason for God to grant them: David was poor and needy, he was faithful, he called on God all day long, and he had set his hope on the Lord.

Then he turned his attention to God's ability to answer his prayer and meet his need. There is no other god like Him who could do the works He does. God is great and able to perform wonders. In addition to the Lord's ability to meet his need, the Lord was "kind and . . . abundant in faithful love to all who call on You." (86:5) Unlike the gods worshipped by other nations, the Lord cared about helping him.

Next, David voiced the desire to become more dedicated to the Lord, asking Him to "Teach me Your way, Lord, and I will live by Your truth." He also asked that the Lord would "Give me an undivided mind to fear Your name." (86:11) Then he vowed to praise the Lord with all his heart and honor His name forever.

Finally, in verse 14, David mentions the source of his need: "arrogant people have attacked me; a gang of ruthless men seeks my life." Besides their disdain for David, they had no regard for the Lord. By delivering David from these enemies they would be put to shame and would know that "You, Lord, have helped and comforted me." (86:17)

No comments:

Post a Comment