Thursday, January 15, 2015

Reflections on Job 17

 Job 17 (Contemporary English Version)
  1. My hopes have died, my time is up, and the grave is ready.
  2. All I can see are angry crowds, making fun of me.
  3. If you, LORD, don't help, who will pay the price for my release?
  4. My friends won't really listen, all because of you, and so you must be the one to prove them wrong.
  5. They have condemned me, just to benefit themselves; now blind their children.
  6. You, God, are the reason I am insulted and spit on.
  7. I am almost blind with grief; my body is a mere shadow.
  8. People who are truly good would feel so alarmed, that they would become angry at my worthless friends.
  9. They would do the right thing and because they did, they would grow stronger.
  10. But none of my friends show any sense.
  11. My life is drawing to an end; hope has disappeared.
  12. But all my friends can do is offer empty hopes.
  13. I could tell the world below to prepare me a bed.
  14. Then I could greet the grave as my father and say to the worms, "Hello, mother and sisters!"
  15. But what kind of hope is that?
  16. Will it keep me company in the world of the dead?

Broken in spirit, Job continued to speak. His life appeared to be over. What was left? He had nothing and no one. His friends had turned into mockers. Nevertheless, he maintained his innocence in the face of his losses, but the only one who could plead his case was God even though God had brought on his problems. The minds of his friends had been closed so they were of no use to plead his case.

Job had become an object of scorn to the people. Though an upright person would be appalled at his treatment, this did not include his friends who continued to berate him. But, Job was righteous and would "hold to his way." (17:9)

All that seemed left for Job was the grave. He taunted his friends to come back and try again to offer wisdom for his plight, but he didn't expect to find a wise man among them on a second try any more than he had on the first. So he must accept that his "days have slipped by; my plans have been ruined, even the things dear to my heart." (17:11)

No comments:

Post a Comment