Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Reflections on Job 23

 Job 23 (Contemporary English Version)
  1. Job said:
  2. Today I complain bitterly, because God has been cruel and made me suffer.
  3. If I knew where to find God, I would go there
  4. and argue my case.
  5. Then I would discover what he wanted to say.
  6. Would he overwhelm me with his greatness? No! He would listen
  7. because I am innocent, and he would say, "I now set you free!"
  8. I cannot find God anywhere-- in front or back of me,
  9. to my left or my right. God is always at work, though I never see him.
  10. But he knows what I am doing, and when he tests me, I will be pure as gold.
  11. I have never refused to follow any of his commands,
  12. and I have always treasured his teachings.
  13. But he alone is God, and who can oppose him? God does as he pleases,
  14. and he will do exactly what he intends with me.
  15. Merely the thought of God All-Powerful
  16. makes me tremble with fear.
  17. God has covered me with darkness, but I refuse to be silent.

Chapter 23 is the first half of Job's third reply to Eliphaz. In this half he defended his innocence and was certain God would agree with him if he could present his case before Him, but God was no where to be found. Not to the north, east, west, or south. But if he could find God he was sure God would pay attention to him and not be harsh with him. And yet, even without presenting his case before God, Job knew that God knew that he had followed in God's ways and kept His ways without turning aside. Job had treasured God's words even more than food.

Even though God knew of Job's faithfulness to His ways, this was no assurance that God would take away his suffering, for God "does what He desires." (23:13) And God will complete what He had decreed for Job and anything else He determined to do. This thought terrified Job. Was there even more of this suffering he had to go through?  Nevertheless, Job says, "I am not destroyed by the darkness." (23:17) His hope was still in God.

No comments:

Post a Comment