Thursday, January 16, 2014

Reflections on Psalms 51

 Psalms 51(Contemporary English Version)
  1. (For the music leader. A psalm by David when the prophet Nathan came to him after David had been with Bathsheba.) You are kind, God! Please have pity on me. You are always merciful! Please wipe away my sins.
  2. Wash me clean from all of my sin and guilt.
  3. I know about my sins, and I cannot forget my terrible guilt.
  4. You are really the one I have sinned against; I have disobeyed you and have done wrong. So it is right and fair for you to correct and punish me.
  5. I have sinned and done wrong since the day I was born.
  6. But you want complete honesty, so teach me true wisdom.
  7. Wash me with hyssop until I am clean and whiter than snow.
  8. Let me be happy and joyful! You crushed my bones, now let them celebrate.
  9. Turn your eyes from my sin and cover my guilt.
  10. Create pure thoughts in me and make me faithful again.
  11. Don't chase me away from you or take your Holy Spirit away from me.
  12. Make me as happy as you did when you saved me; make me want to obey!
  13. I will teach sinners your Law, and they will return to you.
  14. Keep me from any deadly sin. Only you can save me! Then I will shout and sing about your power to save.
  15. Help me to speak, and I will praise you, Lord.
  16. Offerings and sacrifices are not what you want.
  17. The way to please you is to feel sorrow deep in our hearts. This is the kind of sacrifice you won't refuse.
  18. Please be willing, Lord, to help the city of Zion and to rebuild its walls.
  19. Then you will be pleased with the proper sacrifices, and we will offer bulls on your altar once again.

Psalms 51 is David's well-known confession of sin in regard to his adultery with Bathsheba and murder of her husband. It provides hope and comfort for us as we recognize the extent of David's sin and realize that God forgave him and yet considered him a man after His own heart. We, too, can have forgiveness and a renewed spirit regardless of our sin.

David began with open and honest confession. He made no excuses for his actions. He was guilty. "I have sinned and done this evil in Your sight," he said. (51:4) He deserved whatever sentence God chose to pass on him and knew that God was blameless in His judgments. Thus he was willing to submit himself to God's mercy.

Along with God's forgiveness David wanted to be made clean once again and have his sin blotted out. Then he wanted a new heart, a clean heart, that was steadfast in following God, "create a clean heart for me and renew a steadfast spirit within me." (51:10) Nor did he want to be banished from God's presence or have His Holy Spirit taken from him as was the case with King Saul.

Psalm 50 speaks of those who resort to ritualistic sacrifices in an effort to appease God and gain His favor. David did not play this game. He was not after appeasement for he knew that God does "not want a sacrifice." If He did, David would give it, but He didn't. What did God want? "a broken spirit. God, You will not despise a broken and humbled heart." (51:17) This is what he offered God. Once his heart was right God would delight in his sacrifices.

God delights in our worship and praise, but only if our hearts are right. Apart from a pure heart our praise is only noise.

No comments:

Post a Comment