Monday, January 27, 2014

Reflections on Psalms 55

 Psalms 55(Contemporary English Version)
  1. (A special psalm by David for the music leader. Use with stringed instruments.) Listen, God, to my prayer! Don't reject my request.
  2. Please listen and help me. My thoughts are troubled, and I keep groaning
  3. because my loud enemies shout and attack. They treat me terribly and hold angry grudges.
  4. My heart is racing fast, and I am afraid of dying.
  5. I am trembling with fear, completely terrified.
  6. I wish I had wings like a dove, so I could fly far away and be at peace.
  7. I would go and live in some distant desert.
  8. I would quickly find shelter from howling winds and raging storms.
  9. Confuse my enemies, Lord! Upset their plans. Cruelty and violence are all I see in the city,
  10. and they are like guards on patrol day and night. The city is full of trouble, evil,
  11. and corruption. Troublemakers and liars freely roam the streets.
  12. My enemies are not the ones who sneer and make fun. I could put up with that or even hide from them.
  13. But it was my closest friend, the one I trusted most.
  14. We enjoyed being together, and we went with others to your house, our God.
  15. All who hate me are controlled by the power of evil. Sentence them to death and send them down alive to the world of the dead.
  16. I ask for your help, LORD God, and you will keep me safe.
  17. Morning, noon, and night you hear my concerns and my complaints.
  18. I am attacked from all sides, but you will rescue me unharmed by the battle.
  19. You have always ruled, and you will hear me. You will defeat my enemies because they won't turn and worship you.
  20. My friend turned against me and broke his promise.
  21. His words were smoother than butter, and softer than olive oil. But hatred filled his heart, and he was ready to attack with a sword.
  22. Our LORD, we belong to you. We tell you what worries us, and you won't let us fall.
  23. But what about those people who are cruel and brutal? You will throw them down into the deepest pit long before their time. I trust you, LORD!

This psalm of David calls upon God's help to deliver him from the betrayal of a close friend. The occasion is commonly thought to be when his son, Absalom, tried to take the throne from him and David's close advisor, Ahithophel, betrayed him by supporting Absalom. This is much more than the common betrayal of a friend who tells lies on you or reveals secrets that have been entrusted to them. With this betrayal David's life was threatened as were the lives of many others, and the livelihoods and quality of lives for many people were at stake.

David was horrified by the threat posed by this betrayal of friend and son. He wanted to escape it and take on wings like a dove and fly off to the desert. But, of course, that was not possible so he prayed that God would "confuse and confound their speech," that is, the speech of his enemies, so their efforts would fail. Furthermore, he prayed that God would cause "death (to) take them by surprise; let them go down to Sheol alive, because evil is in their homes and within them." (55:15) In praying this he was confident that "Though many are against me, He (God) will redeem me from my battle unharmed." (55:18)

In case we suspect David was praying for God's judgment on otherwise decent people who had simply chosen to betray him, he portrays in verses 19-21 the character of his enemy. He will not change from his treachery nor does he fear God as if he would turn from his treachery at God's leading. He was not striking out against those seeking violence but was instead acting violently against those who were at peace with him. He covered his intentions with smooth talk, "but war is in his heart" and his words were "drawn swords." (55:21)

In the last two verses we see David's heart. He will cast his burden on the Lord with confidence that He would support him. Though his enemies were "men of bloodshed and treachery," David said, "I will trust in You (God)."

No comments:

Post a Comment