Thursday, January 23, 2014

Reflections on Psalms 54

 Psalms 54(Contemporary English Version)
  1. (For the music leader. Use with stringed instruments. A special psalm that David wrote when the people of Ziph went to Saul and said, "David is hiding here with us.") Save me, God, by your power and prove that I am right.
  2. Listen to my prayer and hear what I say.
  3. Cruel strangers have attacked and want me dead. Not one of them cares about you.
  4. You will help me, Lord God, and keep me from falling;
  5. you will punish my enemies for their evil deeds. Be my faithful friend and destroy them.
  6. I will bring a gift and offer a sacrifice to you, LORD. I will praise your name because you are good.
  7. You have rescued me from all of my troubles, and my own eyes have seen my enemies fall.

David, in this psalm, was being pursued by Saul and was betrayed by the Ziphites who reported his whereabouts to Saul. His life was in danger and he called out to God with an urgent plea, "God, hear my prayer; listen to the words of my mouth." (54:2) In verse 3 he described his pursuers in three ways: they were strangers, they were violent, and they had no regard for God. The last of these was no doubt of greatest concern. If they had no regard for God they would have no regard for his life.

That was David's short plea to God: "hear my prayer" and "violent men seek my life." From there David spoke as if God had already answered his prayer. This was because "God is my helper." God had always been David's helper and He would be again. He could also speak as if God had already answered because of God's faithfulness. (54:5) Faithfulness is in God's nature. Besides, "He has delivered me from every trouble." (54:7)

David's prayer was simple - he asked and he trusted. No lengthy request, no excess of words. God already knew his situation, he simply needed to ask - Lord help me. In doing so he conveyed his trust in the Lord and he drew his own attention to God's help rather than the threat of his enemies.

No comments:

Post a Comment