Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Reflections on Psalms 16

 Psalms 16(Contemporary English Version)
  1. (A special psalm by David.) Protect me, LORD God! I run to you for safety,
  2. and I have said, "Only you are my Lord! Every good thing I have is a gift from you."
  3. Your people are wonderful, and they make me happy,
  4. but worshipers of other gods will have much sorrow. I refuse to offer sacrifices of blood to those gods or worship in their name.
  5. You, LORD, are all I want! You are my choice, and you keep me safe.
  6. You make my life pleasant, and my future is bright.
  7. I praise you, LORD, for being my guide. Even in the darkest night, your teachings fill my mind.
  8. I will always look to you, as you stand beside me and protect me from fear.
  9. With all my heart, I will celebrate, and I can safely rest.
  10. I am your chosen one. You won't leave me in the grave or let my body decay.
  11. You have shown me the path to life, and you make me glad by being near to me. Sitting at your right side, I will always be joyful.

This 16th Psalm is summarized in the first verse, "Protect me, God, for I take refuge in You." The rest of the Psalm develops more the idea of taking refuge in the Lord.

David was king with all its benefits, but as far as he was concerned he had "no good besides You." (the Lord) (16:2) Had he done as those "who take another god," his life would also be as theirs with sorrows multiplying. He would not participate in their pursuit of this other god by even pouring out their drink offerings of blood. Nor would he speak their names. It was the Lord, not this other god, who was his "cup of blessing," and the Lord who held his future.

In verse 6 David compared the life God had given him to the best inheritance a person could receive. Therefore he would "praise the Lord who counsels me" both day and night. With God at his right hand, he would "not be shaken." (16:7, 8) This confidence in the Lord's refuge extended even to the threat of death, for he was confident the Lord would not allow him to see the grave and his body to decay there.

David concluded with further reason for taking refuge in the Lord. The Lord revealed the path of life to him, he found abundant joy in the Lord's presence, and in the Lord were "eternal pleasures." The joy David found in the Lord did not end with death but extended beyond the grave for eternity. These three reasons alone are sufficient for me to take refuge in the Lord. To have Him reveal the path of life to me so I do not find myself wandering aimlessly through life is significant. Also significant is the abundant joy that is found in the Lord. This is the happiness in life that everyone seeks, but this joy in the Lord is so much greater. Happiness is fleeting, it is momentary. It passes as quickly as it comes. But the joy that is found in the Lord is ongoing and rather than passing it grows as we abide in the Lord. It can even remain through times of difficulty which are certain to erode our happiness. Not even death will stop this joy we have in the Lord. But the key is to abide in the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment