Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Reflections on Psalms 17

 Psalms 17(Contemporary English Version)
  1. (A prayer by David.) I am innocent, LORD! Won't you listen as I pray and beg for help? I am honest! Please hear my prayer.
  2. Only you can say that I am innocent, because only your eyes can see the truth.
  3. You know my heart, and even during the night you have tested me and found me innocent. I have made up my mind never to tell a lie.
  4. I don't do like others. I obey your teachings and am not cruel.
  5. I have followed you, without ever stumbling.
  6. I pray to you, God, because you will help me. Listen and answer my prayer!
  7. Show your wonderful love. Your mighty arm protects those who run to you for safety from their enemies.
  8. Protect me as you would your very own eyes; hide me in the shadow of your wings.
  9. Don't let my brutal enemies attack from all sides and kill me.
  10. They refuse to show mercy, and they keep bragging.
  11. They have caught up with me! My enemies are everywhere, eagerly hoping to smear me in the dirt.
  12. They are like hungry lions hunting for food, or like young lions hiding in ambush.
  13. Do something, LORD! Attack and defeat them. Take your sword and save me from those evil people.
  14. Use your powerful arm and rescue me from the hands of mere humans whose world won't last. You provide food for those you love. Their children have plenty, and their grandchildren will have more than enough.
  15. I am innocent, LORD, and I will see your face! When I awake, all I want is to see you as you are.

David was surrounded by deadly enemies who treated him violently, accusing him of things for which he was not guilty. In light of this injustice he took his cause to a judge who is just - the Lord. First he plead his innocence and integrity and then he called on God to "Guard me as the apple of Your eye" against the violence of these wicked people.

In David's plea of innocence before the Lord he knew that God would "see what is right" and knew that in testing him at night, in the dark, as well as by day, in the light, He would find nothing evil in him. David had determined not to sin and so had avoided doing the violence others did. His steps were solidly on the Lord's path. In light of this he was calling upon the Lord to, "Display the wonders of Your faithful love, Savior of all who seek refuge from those who rebel against Your right hand." (17:7) Then he made the appeal that means so much to so many, "Guard me as the apple of Your eye; hide me in the shadow of Your wings." (17:8) How special it is to be guarded by the Lord as carefully as one guards the pupil of his own eye or protected as an eagle protects its young under it wings. What comforting imagery!

Following a description of what his enemies were trying to do to him, David asks God to save him from men whose focus is only on this world. God allows them to have plenty - full bellies and enough surplus to leave as inheritance to their children. That is fine with David. He says in effect, "let them have it as far as I'm concerned. I am satisfied with spiritual treasures. It is enough for me to look upon your face and to be in Your presence as one who is considered by You to be righteous."

No comments:

Post a Comment