Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Reflections on Psalms 25

 Psalms 25(Contemporary English Version)
  1. (By David.) I offer you my heart, LORD God,
  2. and I trust you. Don't make me ashamed or let enemies defeat me.
  3. Don't disappoint any of your worshipers, but disappoint all deceitful liars.
  4. Show me your paths and teach me to follow;
  5. guide me by your truth and instruct me. You keep me safe, and I always trust you.
  6. Please, LORD, remember, you have always been patient and kind.
  7. Forget each wrong I did when I was young. Show how truly kind you are and remember me.
  8. You are honest and merciful, and you teach sinners how to follow your path.
  9. You lead humble people to do what is right and to stay on your path.
  10. In everything you do, you are kind and faithful to everyone who keeps our agreement with you.
  11. Be true to your name, LORD, by forgiving each one of my terrible sins.
  12. You will show the right path to all who worship you.
  13. They will have plenty, and then their children will receive the land.
  14. Our LORD, you are the friend of your worshipers, and you make an agreement with all of us.
  15. I always look to you, because you rescue me from every trap.
  16. I am lonely and troubled. Show that you care and have pity on me.
  17. My awful worries keep growing. Rescue me from sadness.
  18. See my troubles and misery and forgive my sins.
  19. Look at all my enemies! See how much they hate me.
  20. I come to you for shelter. Protect me, keep me safe, and don't disappoint me.
  21. I obey you with all my heart, and I trust you, knowing that you will save me.
  22. Our God, please save Israel from all of its troubles.

Psalm 25 has the sense of being a page from David's daily prayer book. There is no common theme throughout but instead David covers the spectrum from a prayer of protection to seeking instruction to asking forgiveness of his sin to upholding God's faithful love.

David seeks God's protection in the opening verses of the psalm and again later in the psalm. Repeatedly he asks that God not let him be disgraced or put to shame before his enemies. Is this about protecting his pride? I think it is more likely about his trust in the Lord being well-placed. Having placed his trust in the Lord for protection against his enemies he doesn't want to discover that it was an ill-placed trust. Nor does he want to be taunted by his enemies because his reliance on the Lord turned out to be in vain. But having voiced his request that he not be disgraced, he confidently states that "Not one person who waits for You will be disgraced." (25:3)

In David's petition to the Lord both for protection and forgiveness of sin, his appeal is not on his own merit but on God's. "Remember, LORD, Your compassion and Your faithful love," he says. These qualities that God has had "from antiquity" are the motivation to which David appeals for God's protection and for guiding him in truth. It was also because of God's name that David asked Him to forgive his sin. Not because David deserved it but because God's name was at stake.

David extols the benefits of fearing the Lord in verses 12-14. What is in store for the person who fears the Lord? Such a person will be shown the way he should choose and will thus live a good life. His descendants will also benefit by inheriting the land. In addition he will receive the "secret counsel of the Lord." (25:14) The Lord blessed the Israelites with a land of their own. He promised they would have this land as long as they feared Him and obeyed His instructions to them. This promise that the descendants of the one who feared the Lord would inherit the land is saying that the land the Lord gave them will remain in the possession of those who fear the Lord and be passed down to their descendants. This would not be true for those who no longer feared the Lord but turned instead to other gods. I understand this to mean to me that as I fear the Lord and follow in His teachings that His blessings I enjoy will be passed on to my descendants.

David makes his stand in verse 21, "for I wait for You." He made his choice. He will wait on the Lord. In so doing he asks that he be kept in integrity and uprightness.

No comments:

Post a Comment