Thursday, November 21, 2013

Reflections on Psalms 22

 Psalms 22(Contemporary English Version)
  1. (A psalm by David for the music leader. To the tune "A Deer at Dawn." ) My God, my God, why have you deserted me? Why are you so far away? Won't you listen to my groans and come to my rescue?
  2. I cry out day and night, but you don't answer, and I can never rest.
  3. Yet you are the holy God, ruling from your throne and praised by Israel.
  4. Our ancestors trusted you, and you rescued them.
  5. When they cried out for help, you saved them, and you did not let them down when they depended on you.
  6. But I am merely a worm, far less than human, and I am hated and rejected by people everywhere.
  7. Everyone who sees me makes fun and sneers. They shake their heads,
  8. and say, "Trust the LORD! If you are his favorite, let him protect you and keep you safe."
  9. You, LORD, brought me safely through birth, and you protected me when I was a baby at my mother's breast.
  10. From the day I was born, I have been in your care, and from the time of my birth, you have been my God.
  11. Don't stay far off when I am in trouble with no one to help me.
  12. Enemies are all around like a herd of wild bulls. Powerful bulls from Bashan are everywhere.
  13. My enemies are like lions roaring and attacking with jaws open wide.
  14. I have no more strength than a few drops of water. All my bones are out of joint; my heart is like melted wax.
  15. My strength has dried up like a broken clay pot, and my tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth. You, God, have left me to die in the dirt.
  16. Brutal enemies attack me like a pack of dogs, tearing at my hands and my feet.
  17. I can count all my bones, and my enemies just stare and sneer at me.
  18. They took my clothes and gambled for them.
  19. Don't stay far away, LORD! My strength comes from you, so hurry and help.
  20. Rescue me from enemy swords and save me from those dogs.
  21. Don't let lions eat me. You rescued me from the horns of wild bulls,
  22. and when your people meet, I will praise you, LORD.
  23. All who worship the LORD, now praise him! You belong to Jacob's family and to the people of Israel, so fear and honor the LORD!
  24. The LORD doesn't hate or despise the helpless in all of their troubles. When I cried out, he listened and did not turn away.
  25. When your people meet, you will fill my heart with your praises, LORD, and everyone will see me keep my promises to you.
  26. The poor will eat and be full, and all who worship you will be thankful and live in hope.
  27. Everyone on this earth will remember you, LORD. People all over the world will turn and worship you,
  28. because you are in control, the ruler of all nations.
  29. All who are rich and have more than enough will bow down to you, Lord. Even those who are dying and almost in the grave will come and bow down.
  30. In the future, everyone will worship and learn about you, our Lord.
  31. People not yet born will be told, "The Lord has saved us!"

Desperation is heard in the words of the Psalmist in the opening verse of this psalm: "My God, my God, why have You forsaken me?" If these words have a familiar ring it is because the were also spoken by Jesus as He was dying on the cross. David continued his desperate cry to God saying, "My God, I cry by day, but You do not answer, by night, yet I have no rest. " (22:2) Few followers of God have not felt something akin to what David expressed here, and so we readily identify with him in his suffering and draw comfort from his source of comfort.

Nothing we learn from scripture regarding the life of David can be identified with this experience to which is referred in this psalm. He was apparently facing execution by his enemies, possibly even imprisoned by them and given little if any food or water. In verse 15 he says, "My strength is dried up like baked clay; my tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth." And then in verse 17, "I can count all my bones; people look and stare at me." Verse 18 again reminds us of Christ's death when he says, "They divided my garments among themselves, and they cast lots for my clothing."

Whether or not we have faced the prospect of imminent death, we identify with David's feeling of abandonment by God in the face of overwhelming circumstances and are encouraged to hold on and keep looking to God for deliverance. This is not the only psalm of David in which he expresses such desperation, but he never expressed such feelings without also telling of God's faithfulness in hearing his prayer and giving him deliverance. In this psalm David first expressed his hope in God's deliverance in verses 3-5 as he remembered how his ancesters had placed their trust in God and He had rescued them. When they trusted God, He did not disgrace them.

This was the hope to which David held, but his praise for God's deliverance is seen in verses 22 and following. Once again, God heard his cry and was faithful to deliver him. In verse 24 he says, "For He has not despised or detested the torment of the afflicted. He did not hide His face from him, but listened when he cried to Him for help." Though David related God's deliverance in second person as if speaking of others, he no doubt also spoke of his own deliverance. God listened when David cried to Him for help. And God "did not hide His face from him." His cry to God in the first two verses sound as if he feared that God had hid His face. But that was not the case. God showed up and helped him.

As David found strength and hope in his remembrance of the faith of his ancestors, so can we find such strength and hope in his faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment